Monday, September 16, 2013

Liebster Award


Kara, from A BookLover's Heart, nominated my blog for the Liebster Award! 

The rules:
~Link back to the blogger that tagged you.
~Nominate ten others and answer the questions from the blogger that tagged you.
~Ask ten questions for the bloggers you nominate.
~Let your nominees know of their award.

My answers to Kara's questions:
Anne Elisabeth Stengl
1. Who is your favorite author (s) and why?
Such a hard question! Thank you for including the "(s)". Among current author's I definitely would put Anne Elisabeth Stengl at the top, Melanie Dickerson, Karen Witemeyer, Regina Jennings, and Julie Klassen just to name a few. They are also all on my must-read-their-newest-book-when-it-comes-out list. My older favorite authors are J.R.R. Tolkien, Karl May, C.S. Lewis, Louisa May Alcott, G.A. Henty, Martha Finley, and Jane Austen.

2. What do you enjoy most about blogging and would you recommend it to others?
To be perfectly honest, I like getting free books to review the best. ;-) And a close second is interacting with authors and other book lovers. I'm finding that I'm less thrilled about the writing side of writing a blog :P but I probably just need a good dose of motivation and an anti-laziness pill. 
I would recommend book blogging (in particular) to anyone who loves books, loves sharing books, wants to get to know authors better and someone who doesn't mind writing.

The Chance by Karen Kingsbury3. Is there a book you didn’t think you’d like, but you ended up loving it?
Hard question, I have a tendency to forget things I don’t like. … Well, one author I didn't think would be quite my cup of tea (I don't know why!) was Karen Kingsbury. Then last fall I read The Bridge and loved it, last spring I read The Chance and loved it. And then between May and July I read the entire Baxter Family saga series and loved those.
There were a few books that I had to read for school that I wasn't too sure I'd like but Carry On, Mr. Bowditch by Jean Lee Latham and The Phantom Tollbooth by Norton Juster were both pleasant surprises that have stuck in my memory.

Photo credit: El Monte RV Rentals
4. What would be your ideal vacation spot or your dream vacation?
Three weeks camping, no make that RVing (since this is a dream vacation) in a national park. It'd be really ideal if there were a number of other national parks within an easy day trip's drive and a good library within non-strenuous biking distance.

5. How many books are on your TBR shelf?
According to the incomplete Goodreads list, 232. Hmm, nope take that back, I added a few more since writing that.

6. What is your favorite spot to read?
My bed, the couch, at the dining table while eating.

7.  Do you have a favorite snack while reading?
Nope. I get too absorbed into the story to even think about eating. Except if I'm reading while eating a meal.

8. Which blogger has inspired you the most?
Kara (http://karathewriter.blogspot.com/) has been the most encouraging. 
Anne Elisabeth (http://anneelisabethstengl.blogspot.com/) is always interesting to read.
And I think I looked at Abbi's (http://writingchristiannovels.blogspot.com/) and Melanie's (http://christianbookshelfreviews.blogspot.com/) the most when figuring out the book blogging world.

9. What are your other hobbies (besides reading)?
I do like to cross stitch (but haven't done that much recently), I spend more time than I should on Facebook games (when I have internet), playing flute, and then computer games such as Civilization III, Age of Empires, Oregon Trail, and Roller Coaster Tycoon are some of my favorites if I'm in the mood for that. But in reality, reading is my main hobby.

10. What’s one of your biggest book pet peeves?
Seeing kids mistreat books. Since I'm a school librarian I cringe everytime a book gets dumped into the book return box and gets it's covers or pages bent up. Also if a book is returned wet. Especially by a high schooler! They should know how to keep their drink bottle cap tight. (This happened last week so it's a fresh and annoying memory.)

My Questions (some I came up with on my own, the rest were inspired (or copied) from other blogs):
1. Why did you decide to start a blog?
2. What is one thing on your bucket list that realistically you probably won't check off?
3. What is your favorite genre and why?
4. Which would you rather be, divinely beautiful, or dazzlingly clever, or angelically good?
5. If you could meet one person, living, dead, or fictional, who would it be and why?
6. If you were given 3 wishes, one for you, one for your community, and one for the world, what would they be?
7. List five books or series that you'd like to own.
8. If you could go anywhere in the world, where would you go (money doesn't matter)?
9. Gilbert Blythe, Mr. Darcy, Sir Percy, or Aragorn?
10. What's the last thing you ate?

I don't expect all these bloggers to participate, but since the purpose is to share blogs that you love (liebster means beloved after all) I nominate...
Anne Elisabeth ~ Tales of Goldstone Wood
Charity ~ Austenitis
Emily & Janie ~ Redeemed Reader
Mulitple Authors ~ Colonial Quills (they have some really fascinating tidbits on history)
(Ok, I know that's not ten, but two of them are by multiple people, so it does add up in the end...)


4 comments:

  1. Wow Rina.....i loved your responses to this, but I'm especially touched that you listed me as inspiration and an encourager. You have no idea how that blesses me, thank you for that! I also totally agree with what you said for Anne Elisabeth's blog as well as Abbi and Melanie, wonderful women in our blogging community :)

    You're very welcome for making the first question plural, it's only fair for booklovers :) I'm sooooo glad you play videogames too! I fell inlove with Delicious-Emily's Taste of Fame, but I have recently stopped playing Emily's games because i disagree with the latest one. However, I also love the lego games (star wars, pirates, and more that are coming out).

    I so agree with those pet peeves, YIKES! And as a librarian you really listed some good ones that people don't even consider, thanks for all your efforts to keep books in good shape while you're at work! *big time NOOO to wet books*

    Congrats again on this award, you and your blog are SUCH an enhancement to the blogging community and I'm especially blessed from reading your book reviews and postings! Thanks so much for responding to this, it was fun reading your answers, hugs to you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do believe you just set the record for longest comment on this blog yet! Isn't it nice to know other people who indulge in "childhood" games. :-)
      Thanks so much for nominating me, and you had some great questions! Hugs back!

      Delete
  2. Great Q&A, Rina! Enjoyed your responses. :) (Yes, gotta love free books! And I like cross-stitching, too, although I also haven't done it in a while...)

    Thank you so much for nominating me! I've already done a post about this award, which you can check out HERE, but I really appreciate your nomination. :)

    And I absolutely love your Anne-of-Green-Gables-themed questions! I'd definitely pick Gilbert Blythe for #9, and #4 is great, though tough to answer. ;)

    ~Amber

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoyed reading your answers! And you're welcome for the nomination. :-)

      Delete

Real Time Web Analytics