Saturday, February 4, 2012

Through My Eyes by Tim Tebow

Through My Eyes by Tim Tebow with Nathan Whitaker. Harper, 2011. 272p. (978-0062007285)

I read this last summer and am writing this review completely from memory. Since the Super Bowl is tomorrow (yes, I know, the Broncos aren’t playing) I figured I ought to review a football book, and since this is the most recent football related book that I’ve read, I figured it was appropriate. Especially since the only other one is the novel Hometown Legend by Jerry B. Jenkins that I read back in high school. (A fun novelization of the movie.) Plus Tebow has been discussed quite a lot in the past few months.

I really don’t care about American football, but I actually requested this book from the library before it came out. Why? Because Tim Tebow is a missionary kid (and a homeschooler). I was hoping to learn more about that aspect of his life but his family returned to the States when he was still quite young – around age three or four if my memory serves me correctly. So naturally he doesn’t remember much about living overseas, but it still influenced his life – his dad travelled there frequently, he went there on a mission trip in high school, and his foundation is helping orphans there.

Instead, and rightly so, the book focuses on his football career. How his love and passion for the sport developed while a kid, how much time he spent in high school developing his skills, how he agonized over what college to attend and then his college career. I’m sure it also talks about his move to the NFL and his games there but I really can’t remember much about that part of the book.

Through My Eyes tells a lot about what goes on off the field. All the training and exercise, perseverance and dedication, self-discipline and focus that is necessary to play at that level. It’s no wonder the apostle Paul uses athletes as an example of how we should live a Christian life – focused on Jesus Christ.

Let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. Consider him who endured such opposition from sinful men, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart. (Hebrews 12:1-3 NIV84)

Tim Tebow’s great work ethic and dedication to his training are very evident throughout his book and Paul mentions the strict training athletes subject themselves to, “Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize. Everyone who competes in the games goes into strict training. They do it to get a crown that will not last; but we do it to get a crown that will last forever.” (1Corinthians 9:24-25 NIV84) And Tim Tebow knows that there is “a crown that will last forever” and he is running hard in that race as well.

I enjoyed this book – even if the football details got to be a bit too much at times. His drive, determination and his love for Christ is inspiring.


P.S. An edition of his book recently came out for younger readers, Through My Eyes: A Quarterbacks Journey And I like this book cover better because you can actually read (and notice) the title.

2 comments:

  1. Yes, it is easy to tell you care about football because you called it "American football." That is a dead giveaway of the soccer preferring type.

    And the title is so hard to read on the original because they are making a reference to the fact that Tebow wrote big, white Scripture references on his eye black. As a result of Tebow's notoriety the NCAA has declared such a practice illegal. Aren't bureaucrats fun!?

    Good parallels; I wonder if Tebow brings them out himself in the book?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi bbcamission, since I've got friends all over the world it just comes naturally to make a distinction between football and football/soccer. :-)

      The cover design is quite clever since his habit of writing on his eye black, as you point out, brought a lot of attention. He talks about that in the book, after one game where he'd written John 3:16 he was told that Google searches for that verse jumped dramatically and he was very surprised.

      I can't remember if Tebow mentioned or addressed those parallels. Guess you'll have to read it to find out. :-)

      Delete

Real Time Web Analytics