Friday, April 13, 2012

The Red Siren by M.L. Tyndall

The Red Siren by M.L. Tyndall. Barbour, 2008. 318p. Series: Charles Towne Belles, #1 (9781602601567)

I think I saw the last two books in this series mentioned on some other blogs so I decided to get book one to see if I liked it. Well, I should have gotten books two and three at the same time. It’s a very unique story. A woman who is a pirate by night and a lady by day.

Faith Westcott is the second oldest daughter of Rear Admiral Westcott of the British Royal Navy. Yet she is also the elusive captain of the pirate ship Red Siren. Who never sheds any blood and goes after rich cargo.

Why does a lady resort to piracy? Especially when the punishment for pirates is the hangman's noose. Simple, she loves the sea, its freedom and is desperate for the money.

Why is a lady whose father is an admiral so desperate for money? Because money equals independence for a woman and that she is determined to have. She does not want the same fate her older sister endures – a forced marriage to cad. Not for herself and not for her two younger sisters. Not if she can do anything about it.

Enter Dajon Waite (terrible name in my opinion, I can’t believe it’s authentic to the time). Captain Waite is a fairly new, but strong Christian who has sworn off women. Unfortunately he has been appointed guardian over the Westcott sisters while their father is away and he’s quite taken with Faith whose shallow faith has been abandoned. But as a captain in the Royal Navy his job it is to track down pirates, particularly the Red Siren.
Charleston Harbor, SC
Charleston Harbor, SC

The story is set in 1718 Charles Town, Carolina and I really enjoyed learning more about the city in that time. My pre-revolutionary war southern colonies history is a bit rusty. M.L. Tyndall does a great job describing the city, its people, and aspects of life back then.

The story started out a bit slow – I read a bit, put it down, and then picked it up before bedtime thinking I’d read a bit while eating a snack. Not a good idea; it got too exciting and too what’s-going-to-happen-next to put down.

There was a aspect (can’t tell you more) that seemed rather far-fetched but it is a great picture of the love God has for us – he forgives us of all our gross trespasses when we confess and repent.

If you like adventure, a strong female character, pirates, and colonial America then you’ll probably enjoy this tale.


Disclosure: I borrowed this book from my church library. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission.

2 comments:

  1. Great to see a review for a book available at the library. Those Kindle charges add up.

    ReplyDelete

Real Time Web Analytics