Monday, May 7, 2012

Prize of My Heart by Lisa Norato

Prize of My Heart by Lisa Norato. Bethany House, 2012. 298p. (9780764209420)

Traveling makes for little computer time and even less review writing time. But imagine going on a trip and not being able to communicate with anyone (except those around you)? That’s what life was like for oodles of years. That’s what life was like for Lorena when she finds herself unexpectedly traveling on a ship to England.

Prize of My Heart is the story of Captain Brogan Talvis who has spent years searching for his son. Life has left him rather bitter and angry at God but in the company of Lorena Huntley and her family he finds himself remembering the Bible lessons of his youth.

Mr. Huntley is a successful shipbuilder whom Brogan has commissioned to build the Yankee Heart. But Brogan’s desire for his own ship is not his sole reason for seeking out Mr. Huntley. You see, Mr. Huntley and his daughter Lorena are the guardians of his son.

At first Brogan’s plan was to essentially kidnap his own son since he mistrusted the motives of Mr. Huntley and feared he wouldn't let the boy leave freely. But Brogan soon realized the boy was too fond of Lorena and then he discovered he was rather fond of the energetic and lovely young lady himself.

Secrets and an unexpected twist must be revealed and forgiven if suspicious Lorena and ex-privateer Brogan and shrewd but wise Mr. Huntley are to make peace with one another and God.

I really enjoyed this book. It took me a while to get into it but I think that’s just because I didn’t have a whole lot of time when I first picked it up. The characters were fun and easily related to. And I enjoyed learning a bit more about sailing and ships in 1815 Massachusetts. Learn more about the books setting from this interview with the author.

One aspect I didn’t like too much was how quickly the romance progressed. The reader is told it will take a while for the ship to be launched and out of the shallow inlet, but the story seems to move quickly (a good thing) and thus also moves the romance along quickly (not such a good thing).  It’s a clean romance (just a few kisses) so no worries there. 


Disclosure: I won this book through a giveaway and the author signed it. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Real Time Web Analytics