Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Top Ten Favorite Book Quotes


Top Ten Tuesday is a meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish

Top Ten Favorite Book Quotes 
 (in no particular order)
"Safe?" said Mr. Beaver."Who said anything about safe? 'Course he isn't safe. But he's good. He's the King, I tell you." ~The Lion, the Witch & the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis

Further up and further in! ~The Last Battle by C.S. Lewis

"Love is the spice of life!" Aunt Lydia picked up her glass and took a long drink before setting it down again.
"Did it end in heartache, dear?"
"Well, yes...but it was the good kind of heart ache, Aunt Lydia. The kind where you'll always think fondly of each other, even though you know your love could never be."
My aunt squealed with delight. "Ooh, I just love stories that end that way! Those happy, sappy endings in romance novels aren't realistic at all. But if you can gaze up at the stars at night and think fondly of your lost love, then it's worth falling in love and losing him."
"You're absolutely right." ~Wonderland Creek by Lynn Austin (my review)

Look at that sea, girls--all silver and shadow and vision of things not seen. We couldn't enjoy its loveliness any more if we had millions of dollars and ropes of diamonds. ~Anne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery

"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.
"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us." ~The Fellowship of the Ring by J.R.R. Tolkien
 

I declare after all there is no enjoyment like reading! How much sooner one tires of any thing than of a book! -- When I have a house of my own, I shall be miserable if I have not an excellent library. ~Pride & Prejudice by Jane Austen

Keep good company, read good books, love good things and cultivate soul and body as faithfully as you can.~Rose in Bloom by Louisa May Alcott

You have to be a speedy reader because there’s so so much to read. ~I Can Read with my Eyes Shut by Dr. Seuss

The question of what makes a hero occupied Greek art & literature for over two thousand years. But not us. Today we're modern. We've summed it all up in one flash-bang two-hour film. We say it's simple. A hero is a guy who wins. You know what I say to that? Rubbish! ...A hero is somebody willing to risk all to gain all. It doesn't matter whether he wins or not. What matters is he tries. What matters is what he tries for. ~All through the Night by Davis Bunn

Now, faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see. ~Hebrews 11:1 (NIV84)
I have decided I am not a quote person. My sister is great at remembering quotes, especially movie quotes. Unfortunately she is not here to help me. Thank goodness for Goodreads and the ability to find quotes by my favorite authors. Now head over here to find the favorite quotes of other book bloggers.

10 comments:

  1. Great quotes! I especially love the C.S. Lewis and Tolkien quotations. Those men had such a way with words.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karen! That they did and there are so many great Lewis and Tolkien quotes to choose from!

      Delete
  2. I love that library quote from Pride and Prejudice. So wonderful. ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a great one. Though I must confess I don't remember reading it in the book, even though I've read it many times. I found in through Goodreads. :-)

      Delete
  3. they're all GREAT quotes, good job Rina!! I enjoyed them all, but I would say my favorite was C.S. Lewis and Hebrews :) You have such good taste in books and I loved each book listed here, blessings Rina!
    Tell your sis that my family is also good at remembering movie quotes and we often have fun comparing movie knowledge :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kara! You're always so encouraging.
      Have you ever played the game where one person quotes something and the others have to guess the source? We love that game, but I'm not very good at it.

      Delete
    2. You really put your heart into these posts and I always appreciate that, Rina :)
      No, we don't play that game, but it sounds fun! Have you played Scene It? We tried that a few times, wasn't really for us.

      In my family, my parents will ask me or my brothers what the name of an actor is, what movie we saw the person in, or we'll be watching a new movie and we'll discuss what other movies we've seen the same actor in. You guys are more into trivia, we just rely on one another to remember stuff :) Do you give out prizes to whoever guesses the most right answers or does the winner simply get to choose the movie of the night? You're better at the book trivia right? :)

      Delete
    3. We haven't tried Scene It. Our quote game is very informal. It might be in the middle of a conversation, or a meal or just in passing that one of my siblings or I would quote something for the others to identify. So no prizes, but that's a good idea letting the winner pick the movie.
      My sister is quite good at remembering trivia and odd facts. My favorite use of book trivia was using some obscure plant or animal from Swiss Family Robinson in the game 'Animal, Plant, Mineral' (kind of like 20 questions, but without the question limit and it had to fall into one of those categories; though we did add Person, Place, Event to clarify and expand things :-)

      Delete
  4. Thanks so much for stopping by. I love your quote from Rose in Bloom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for returning the visit! Rose in Bloom is such a nice, fun story.

      Delete

Real Time Web Analytics